Chinese In North America(北美华人e网)




A respected chemist facing a murder charge 'helped his father die' by giving him a smoothie laced with painkillers and injecting him with insulin, a court has heard.
Bipin Desai, 59, watched football on TV before pouring a highly-concentrated dose of the painkiller into a drink for his 85-year-old diabetic father whose body was later found at their lavish family home in Surrey.
The chemist lived with his father, Dhirajlal, at their £1,273,000 house on the county's stockbroker belt in Dockenfield, near Farnham.
The jury sitting for the second week of his murder trial at Guilford Crown Court today watched his second police interview.
They had last week been told he admitted assisting in a suicide and two charges of theft by an employee, relating to the insulin and morphine he stole, but denied murder.
Tapes showed him discussing making the fatal mixture after dinner on August 26 last year, while his wife and two children were away in London.
He told detectives: 'I just picked up some food - bananas, apples, nectarines - from in the kitchen. I chopped them up and put them in the blender.
'And some orange juice and then just whizzed it. That was the smoothie made and then I poured it in to a glass.'

He then described getting a £4.98 20ml bottle of Oramorph - a concentrated morphine solution - which he had kept at the back of his stationary drawer, in a chest of drawers in his study.
Prosecuting, William Boyce QC has claimed he bought the mixture at Vaughan James Pharmacy where he worked in Farnham on February 20 and it was delivered the next day.

Describing what happened, Mr Desai told police officers: 'I took out the bottle of morphine and added it to the smoothie.
'It was in the top draw at the back. I didn't want anyone else to see it.'
'[My father] was still eating because it takes time for him to finish his meal.'
Asked to describe the drawer in more detail he said: 'Staionary is in the there. I think there a bottle of ink and [the bottle] was behind the bottle of ink.
'It's all stationery stuff, so it's like rubber bands, a stapler - it's all stationary stuff.
'I opened the bottle and poured about half of the contents of the bottle into the smoothie.
'I then just got a spoon out and gave it a stir to mix the the morphine into the smoothie and left it there [on the kitchen worktop], went back to the table and sat down.'
The 59-year-old admitted he was 'nervous and anxious' but knew 'the time was right'.

He added: 'My father was still having his meal and I said to him that I had made the mixture and he said "Good".
'I was felling nervous, anxious, but I also felt that we had come to a time when it was the appropriate time to help my father.
'I think over a bit of time he had been telling me to help him do something and it just felt like this was possibly the right time because none of my family were there.
'We didn't want anyone, especially my children, to see him.'
His father had lived in Zambia before moving to stay with family in Zimbabwe and then eventually moving in with his son in the village of Dockenfield in February 2015.
Mr Desai told the officers his father went upstairs to his room after he had finished eating.

'He said words to the effect of he'd had a good life and how now was a good time to go upstairs. My father was a man of few words so he would not say much. That's it really.'
Asked whether he felt it was the right thing to do, he said: 'I considered his recent deterioration and his persistence. I sort of balanced it, his insistence to go.'
Mr Desai continued: 'He drank [the morphine-laced smoothie]. It took him a couple of minutes to drink it, it was quite thick. I was just standing there, I was just watching him. He drank all of it.
'I was saddened because I was doing this but also I thought the idea was best for him and I was helping him. Quite saddened. On a scale of 10 I would say eight.'

He told the officers that he went downstairs to wash out the glass tumbler his father had drunk the fatal smoothie from, before returning upstairs to say a final goodbye to his father.
He claimed he kissed him goodnight in a tender exchange.
He explained: 'He said "Goodnight son" and "Thanks for everything you have done for me" and I just kissed his forehead and said, "Goodnight dad, love you."
'He more or less fell asleep straight away after that because he closed his eyes.
'My dad could always sleep anywhere. As soon as he hit the pillow he would be asleep.
'Then I sat down in the dining room and watched television. I was feeling quite numb.
'Because I was watching TV I was having flashbacks of all kinds of things from the past. Just my family, my past in Zambia.'
He also told officers he knew the dosage of morphine to stop someone breathing, having read about it in a pharmacy journal.
He said: 'I was aware of the [respiratory] depression. I think it's about 300mg of morphine [needed to stop someone breathing].'
Asked how much morphine he gave his father he added: 'Aproximately 300 [mg] I would say because it was about half the bottle. There was 600mg in the bottle.'
After watching television downstairs for about half an hour, Mr Desai returned upstairs to check on his diabetic father before deciding to give him an overdose of insulin to add to the morphine.
He went on: 'He was sleeping on his right-hand side.

'I put my hand on his abdomen to feel if he was breathing and he was breathing, very shallow.
'I put my hand under his nose and again I felt the breathing was quite shallow but he was still breathing.
'That's when I felt I would probabaly need to inject some insulin as well to hasten the death and make it more comfortable for him.'
After taking out some insulin from the fridge Desai mixed up a syringe and took it back upstairs to his father, he told officers.
He said: 'I placed the syringe on the bedside table and checked on him again.
'His breathing was shallow, he was in a deep sleep. I put my hand on his forehead and he was still warm and then I took the syringe from the bedside table, lifted his [pyjama] top up on the left-hand side at his abdomen and I injected insulin into the abdomen.'
After administering the fatal drugs he described the shock he went through.
He told police: 'I was just numb.
'I was just in a numb state, completely numb. With a dry mouth. I think I was quite sweaty.'
'I thought what I had done was in his best interests.'The trial continues.




回复 4楼asvs的帖子






---发自Huaren 官方 iOS APP


安静 平和 与世无争的生活